Author Topic: Counter suggestion?  (Read 5868 times)

Luna

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Counter suggestion?
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
I think the counter's potential could be increased substantially by adding subtract and 'set' variables. If you want to, say, set off a trigger by luring 10 monsters onto a circle pad, having 'subtract 1' on an OnLeave Area Trigger would save a ton of space and hassle.

Mind you, I haven't been able to figure out what the increment counter.. DOES, exactly. Maybe I could set something up that does this exact thing. Still, there's far more you could do with subtracting and setting than I could think of anecdotally on the spot, and even for things you already can do, it would cut down on the filesizes from coming up with overcomplicated workarounds.

Likewise, it would be wonderful to see other scripts with a counter linked to them, gaining an 'activate at x' attribute to relate to the counter. It would considerably reduce clutter when counting one thing but needing several effects, if it could activate each effect at 2, 4, 8, 15, 20, and so on.

Aside, could anyone describe exactly what Increment Counter does? I found a description on the steam thread but it was very specific to one usage, and confusing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:17:56 PM by Luna »

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
Re: Counter suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
the increment counter subtracts 1 from a counter its connected to each time it is triggered.

you can also look at the variables scripts, they are a more advanced counter system essentially.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap

monev

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
the increment counter subtracts 1 from a counter its connected to each time it is triggered.

you can also look at the variables scripts, they are a more advanced counter system essentially.

oh THAT'S what increment counter does.. i was wondering about that....

theres a number of scripts i don't understand. like "toggle physics" does that toggle an objects collide-able-ness?
or "inspect"

do"moveAI" and "pathnode" have to be used together?

Linaru

• That Collectable coin is mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

oh THAT'S what increment counter does.. i was wondering about that....

theres a number of scripts i don't understand. like "toggle physics" does that toggle an objects collide-able-ness?
or "inspect"

do"moveAI" and "pathnode" have to be used together?

toggle physics turns on and off the collision box for a particular doodad. if you press f1 you can see the collision boxes. combined with the hide doodad this can be useful for making a door dissapear and reappear if it is meant to be used more than once.

the inspect script does nothing, its a remnant left over from the early versions that never got removed.

yes the moveAI triggers a mob who will head toward a pathnode, pathnode scripts can be linked together to make the mob follow them 1 at a time. like around corners
Stabaddey Stabaddey Zap

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
the inspect script does nothing, its a remnant left over from the early versions that never got removed.
The Inspect element does actually work, connect it to something like a counter/variable/area to get a bit of info about that element, it's for helping a bit when debugging your scripts.