Author Topic: Open ended possibility?  (Read 3415 times)

MAJORmagical

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Open ended possibility?
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:04:34 AM »
So im completely new at editing anything; and this might be a stupid question, but would it be possible to create an open ended scenario in the editor? Set the monsters on respawn timers and as the player gets stronger the respawned creatures get stronger? and the same for loot? maybe timed dungeons like in oblivion (come back the next day and the dungeon is reset; and randomized) i've seen random dungeon things on here so i know at least that part is possible. i realize this is a humongous undertaking; but would it be possible? me and my friends played through the campaign multiple times now, and we want something more repayable.

is this possible?

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Open ended possibility?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »
Hmmm, I think it's possible.

If it's possible to check when you buy an upgrade then you can change a spawn script to spawn a more dangerous foe, but I'm not sure if it is possible... hmm.
Time works, but time also stops when you leave a level, so what you do is that you do something on level exit/enter, like, leave a level then when you come back you spawn harder monsters.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Yes you can.

I just tried putting down "health-1" (which is the name for the first health upgrade), into a Global Event Trigger

When I bought the first HP upgrade using the paladin, I triggered so that a monster spawned next to me.

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
You could try out the survival level if you wanted something like that.  I'm pretty sure that it would be very possible to set up monster which become increasingly stronger as time goes on and the player play more.  If you felt compelled to you could even make an "overworld" of sorts which links together all of the dungeons.

You'd have to define a bit more specifically exactly what you wanted in order to know if its possible or not or how to do it. 

Whats possible is to set global flags in order to keep track of the current difficulty, and then change these based on how far the player has come or how often the particular dungeon has been beaten.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:53:48 AM by Kashlavor »
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!