Author Topic: Natural Cave / Cliff Theme  (Read 7710 times)

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Natural Cave / Cliff Theme
« on: January 15, 2014, 03:50:37 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen! Hammerwatch Editors and Enthusiasts! Devs!

Behold and be amazed by, my first custom resource set! (Ooooh, ahhhh!) Simply download and extract the doodads and tilemaps folders into your assets, and merge the folders!

Natural Caves and Cliffs
By Enjay

This is 100% a re-work of Theme_F, to fit the needs of the campaign I am working on. I changed the ledge pieces so that they looked like natural rock, as opposed to the tile stone-work that the native themes make use of for ledges. Also, the ledges going down have transparency (Similar to the shopkeeper's cliffs in the Survival level shop), so they can be used with parallax, or as long as there aren't any tiles underneath them, they'll fade to black as normal.

Since this is a natural theme, corners are a lot trickier, and as such there are many more doodads in the theme than in the others. These are for dedicated corner pieces so that there aren't any strange graphical issues. You can see these corners in the following image. There are both exterior corners, and interior corners.

The Interior corners are actually entirely unnecessary in some situations, depending on how the tile lies below it (Sometimes it just lines up to look nice), but having the interior corners makes it so it will always look neat and clean. You can use the interior and exterior corners to create diagonals. I messed with the collision on the interior corners, as well, so that it feels more natural when you decide to run directly into them. I could probably make it a bit better if I wanted to put preposterous amounts of detail into it, but I like it as it is now.

The wall pieces are almost entirely unchanged from the theme_f walls, and as such, they might be ugly in places! Sorry Myran and Hipshot, but they're just kind of icky every now and then. (Specifically the T-Intersection pieces, they just don't seem to line up like they should). I might fix this at some point, and re-upload it, but this is unlikely, because I've just been creatively using the other wall pieces to get things done.

The Door is also custom (No stairs, just the tilemap fading into black), and looking at it right now, I might do a second version that has the path going into it. (The path is just the default theme_f path)

Feel free to reply with questions and critiques, and I'll happily respond. I probably won't change anything all that quickly (Since I am entirely making this to meet my own needs), but if you bring up something that is bothersome, I'll probably get around to changing it eventually.
Every time I post I get nervous because I feel like the devs are judging me.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Cave / Cliff Theme
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
Nice, make some color varations too?

Yes, theme e and f have some corner issues, some pixels doesn't fit on to the other parts.

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Well geeze, maybe I'd at least like a pay-check first!  ;D
I might do some color variations once I figure out a bit better how Photoshop works, but for now my main focus is the campaign that it's a part of. Once I finish it, (Or need a break from it) I play on working on just generic contributions to the community, so that could be one of them.

Glad to hear it's not an eyesore to everyone else. Hopefully I'll be able to manage to get all the corner issues worked out, as I am still building levels using it, and trying to fix every issue with lining up properly when I encounter them.

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
Hey awesome! Cliffs can make levels a bit more interesting to look at. Here is a sample of the cliffset I'm working on currently:

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
Posted this over on the Ravenwatch thread, but that's really impressive!

As for my set, I'll be doing some color variations soon just because it's easy enough, and I think my next big resource project is going to be very similar to what you've made there, but more in the style of Hammerwatch (Read: Grassy with gray rocks, probably no water though). My main goal is to make sure the resources stay consistent with the graphical acuity that is present in the original game resources, so that people can make use of them more easily while creating their own custom campaigns and maps, and not have to worry about being able to use native resources and having them clash with custom resources.

Glad to hear you like what I've done so far. It's not much, but I'm working towards more :D

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
My main goal is to make sure the resources stay consistent with the graphical acuity that is present in the original game resources, so that people can make use of them more easily while creating their own custom campaigns and maps, and not have to worry about being able to use native resources and having them clash with custom resources.
Yeah after posting it here I decided I should update it onto my thread haha - so it was posted here first :D

I like your goal of keeping it within the HW theme so that they can be used along side the other tilesets. My project is more of an attempt to fully convert the HW look and style to my own, using 0 vanilla resources. If others want to use those resources or monsters, etc, they can, but I don't think it would mesh well with the HW vanilla. Heck, maybe they will I dunno :P We'll see once its all done I guess!