Author Topic: Doodad priority (overlap)  (Read 15372 times)

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
Doodad priority (overlap)
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Hello all. This is my first post here so please go easy on me. I have a question about the doodads and placements of them...

I am using the theme_c up ledges because i like the way the bookshelves fit into the theme of a few rooms i am building. BUT, the color is way off. so I thought about using theme_d down ledges overtop of the edge of the theme_c ones. will this work properly? will the theme_d ledges overlap the theme_c ones? so basically i would like to have the bookshelf visual, with the yellow edge color.

also, is there any priority to the doodads? like of 2 were placed at exactly the same point, would one be over the other?
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Doodad priority (overlap)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
I have found placing doodads over doodads will occasionally give one priority, (This is based, I believe, on the layer that the doodad is present on [Layer being a thing in the xml that essentially dictates priority), but in game, moving around, they'll flicker obnoxiously.

You could try to attempt this by messing with the doodad's layers in their xml, however I would recommend just making a brand new doodad that uses a modified version of the sprite you like.
What are you trying to get it to mesh with? Which piece exactly?
Every time I post I get nervous because I feel like the devs are judging me.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:37:55 AM »
Doodad layer can be changed with using ctrl+1-9 then it goes up, and ctrl+alt+1-9 and it goes down.

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:03 AM »
Doodad layer can be changed with using ctrl+1-9 then it goes up, and ctrl+alt+1-9 and it goes down.

Oh my, that is amazing to know. That changes... Everything.

Edit: Now I feel really stupid for how I've been making secret passages.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:53:37 AM by Enjay »

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »
ahhhhh thank you. i have noticed there are a lot of things that are not mentioned anywhere and isnt mentioned in the editor itself. would be great if there were some sort of complete official editor tips + tricks read. I have looked over a lot of stuff on the wiki, and its very bare at the moment. also, I have noticed a few things about pathing in the editor folder. like an Examples folder etc. I have no folders in mine at all. is there something amiss here?

Sorry if that is a long post. I am just very eager to learn things. I have been editing maps/dungeons/levels/etc. for multiple games for the last 15 years, so anything like this is good stuff for me.
Spoils to the victor...

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:46 AM »
ahh i know this screen looks crappy, but I havent seen this done anywhere? a 2 floor room. order of doodads is a wonder-freaking-ful thing. thanks again Hipshot. Was wondering if anyone else has tried anything strange and non-normal like this before?
SCREEN!!!!
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »
As a warning, be careful with that. I was trying to streamline some secret passage-y stuff, and ended up with random doodads going over my character's sprite, creating odd discontinuity errors.

If it works as expected, that's awesome! Would be fun to mess around with and see what the limits are.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:24:58 AM »
thank you for the reply. i will be careful and thuroghly test it.

a side question which will def help me with this, Can you disable collision/physics/hitbox/whatever-its-called-in-this-game on doodads via a script (i know you can HIDE doodads via a script)? disabling them on the tall pillars would be a plus so the character could walk around them. thus making it feel like its a second floor object.
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
Via scripts? Not that I know of, but hey, this editor is still surprising me, apparently!

Via dropping this into your theme b doodad folder? Yep :D
Attached is a collisionless pillar xml. The shadow is a bit off at the moment, but I imagine I could fix it with some work.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
You can disable collision using the disablephysics entity =)

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »
thanks again to the 2 of you.  ;D you all have been very helpful so far. If I have any other questions, I will be sure to ask here.
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »
You can disable collision using the disablephysics entity =)

Oh hey, more stuff I've overlooked. Jeeze, and I thought I was getting decent at this :D I think I'm going to go through all of the scripts and find out what they all do pretty soon.

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
lol Enjay, you are learning as much as I am  ;D (no insult intended)

Another question similar to the layer thing...

obviously you can have multiple layers of tiles. and the higher up on the list it stamps "over" anything before it. now... does the tiles UNDER the top layer still get rendered? does it decrease performance if you leave them there? say i have a large area of standard theme_c tiles, and I decide to put a large carpet over it. should i delete the tiles under the carpet to increase performance or do they not get rendered anyway?

sorry, just looking for anything to increase FPS and reduce lag on a very large labyrinth style map.

EDIT: also, is there anyway to copy/paste tiles? the way I am building this maze, i create 5x5 areas for the "rooms" and leave a 1 tile thick space between them. then I can connect the rooms according to the layout i want for the maze. works quite well actually, BUT making the 5x5x roooms is..... so tedious. using the brush at 5 only kinda makes it roundish so I have to go back and finish off each one anyway. is there a way to set it to square brush? or to be able to copy paste tiles?

here is what i am working on and what i mean. my god my hand is cramped. it has taken me forever to finish off every 5x5 room and connect them so far. i started this last night. worked about 2 hours on it so far.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:33:17 PM by FFSnipe »
Spoils to the victor...

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »
*Mother of Mazes*
Holy Maze! That's... Scary.
And no insult taken :D

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
Tilemaps can't be copied around, but you can paint black 1x1 pixels in photoshop and then copy paste them into the editor.... easier to create layouts that way. Then change the theme in the xml to some other than _a if you want.