Author Topic: Hardcore mode  (Read 7260 times)

Chipp

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Hardcore mode
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
Hello!
I think the game lacks hardcore mode. I mean "0 ankhs remaining = delete save", something like permadeath in classic roguelike rpg games. I hope that this feature will be implemented in the next patch. What do you people think about hardcore mode?

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore mode
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
There's a hardcore mode, if you choose no extra lives in the modifier panel under custom game =)

Chipp

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
There's a hardcore mode, if you choose no extra lives in the modifier panel under custom game =)
I know, but i can always load my save after that. It's like unlimited life mode, just need to click "load game" instead of instant respawn on save point.
Thanks for the answer anyway.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »
Yea I see what you mean, I don't really consider it hardcore myself, it should block saving completely, or it should be an additional setting, maybe that can be added.

narodigg

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:57 AM »
Yea I see what you mean, I don't really consider it hardcore myself, it should block saving completely, or it should be an additional setting, maybe that can be added.

I like the idea of a hardcore mode also. However blocking saving completely, would not be the way to do it IMO.  While it does bring us closer to our NES roots of unplugging the video and audio cables from the NES and leaving the power on cause the game had no save/continue feature.  I can't do that anymore, and can't sit through an entire play through one sitting.  While I have the attention span, my adult responsibilities don't allow it :)

FFSnipe

• Maze Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »
my opinion... saving should still be allowed if in hardcore mode, BUT when you die, it should delete your save. if you really need to quit, you could save, and reload. although this would still be exploited by the folks who know theyre gonna die and hurry up and exit.

OR you could implement a force save and quit for hardcore. if someone wants to stop playing for a while, it auto saves whereever you are instantly, and thats where you load up. get rid of all the other save points and only allow saving this way. this would prob be a better idea, people couldnt take advantage of save points.
Spoils to the victor...

Leachim

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
my opinion...this game NEEDS a proper Highscore mode with leaderboard. At least for single player mode.

Some Ideas:

In Highscore mode save points just re-spawn player when an ankh is lost, but no loadable save is created.

At the campaign 'end' player characters meets his party on floor 1 again. A little sequence is shown which shows what happens before the bridge from the starting sequence crumbles. Then the program chooses next player character from the till now not played classes. Whole game campaign goes in next loop. After campaign loop has been played one time with each class , class choose goes completely random for ever. This makes the game theoretically playable for ever in all eternity with all possible variations occurring.
-------------------
Now:

If player dies with zero ankhs - Game Over! - and a high score is created.

This High score should be calculated with a diabolical fine-tuned formula which includes all the nice statistics collected:

something like

+ Damage done
+ Enemies killed

- Damage taken
- pickups taken
- Distance moved
- Breakables destroyed
- Mana used

+ Gold in possession

x 0.5 for easy / 1 for medium / 1.5 for hard

This means that highest score output is playing on hard with only standard attack at optimal route.

Additionally normal breakables should have a *VERY* small chance to contain EVERY possible pickup + an even smaller chance to contain scrolls that can give an upgrade from the sellers for free !

Whola! Here You have a nice 'hardcore/roguelike mode'.

PS: The 'gag' about Arcade Machine Gauntlet back in the days was, that hardcore players could play it 'for ever' with just 1 coin, because the game had no real end but repeated the levels endlessly with slight modifications. The arcade owners where not happy about this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:39:44 PM by Leachim »