Author Topic: [Resolved] How do you get water working?  (Read 6182 times)

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
[Resolved] How do you get water working?
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
Hey all :).

I've been wondering how you can get water working like in the Sun Temple campaign and Amran's Pirate's Cove campaign.
They're slightly different (the water is higher in relation to the walls in the desert campaign), and Amran's map has a little animation and highlights around the edges, but they essentially work the same.

Since water is a tilemap, it will always be under every doodad you place in the same position, so any ledges will also show the black on top of the water.

I could make new sprites that cut off so it goes along with the water, but I believe all the desert campaign's elements are already in the editor, so I don't think I need to go custom for this.

How would I get this to work?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:46:51 AM by Feaw »

Dai Tou Zai

• Definitely Not Blitzcrank
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get water working?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
There's a water doodad, pretty sure in the campaign they just deleted all the water doodads or activated/deactivated them with scripts/triggers

But not 100% on that
No i'm not blitzcrank, stop asking me.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
I use a water doodad on top of the tilemap, it can be seen in the cave levels, but it's difficult, anyway, then I just delete those water doodads when the water sinks =)

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:56 AM »
Oooooh hahaha, I thought all the water doodad did was adding onto the minimap...
I'll go check it out :).

Thanks a bunch you guys!

Edit: for some reason I only saw the water COLOR doodad, and never noticed the actual water doodad...

Edit 2: Well.. the water won't merge with the ledge tiles, it will just overlap the ledges or be under them regardless of the layers theyre in...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:34:03 AM by Feaw »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:06:41 AM »
Well, that's because theme_e ledges are made different, you will have to change the graphics of theme_a to work the same, should be easy enough!

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Thank you! It works perfectly :).
I also now know how to work with opacity in image editors, that will come in handy :D.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
Can't wait to see what you are doing, I love seeing new levels for HW with new graphics.

Feaw

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »
It will take me a while, and I have a tendency to never finish projects, but I'll try my best :).

Thank you for the kind words c:.