Author Topic: Displaying a Variable in a Speech Bubble  (Read 4082 times)

Prem

• Handler
    • View Profile
Displaying a Variable in a Speech Bubble
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
Is it possible?  And if so, how can I manage it?  I'm currently working on a Poker Defense game and I want the players to be able to see what cards they have in the form of a speech bubble or something.  I'm also trying to randomly generate these numbers. :)
Too legit to quit.

Enjay

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying a Variable in a Speech Bubble
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
Depending on your level of motivation, you can either script everything out so the number is randomly selected by a random script, which also activates the appropriate text for it. (Or marks a flag that the text checks before being made, depending on whether these are happening at the same time or separately)

Your other option is for Hipshot to tell you how to do it. I believe that it's possible, as the speech bubbles can handle references to other things (Proof in campaign, where the speech scripts don't actually write what they write, they just say "PassageHidden" or some key-phrase like that, which the editor than parses into "You have found a hidden passage!".
Every time I post I get nervous because I feel like the devs are judging me.

Prem

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »
I'm trying to randomly generate numbers then put them into bubbles.
Too legit to quit.

MadMan

• Faggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
I swear, that there is a dictionary, you add text to the dictionary, which makes something like PassageHidden == "You have found a secret passage". I remember doing something like this for the very very early version of hammerwatch, where custom maps required this. I am just guessing, i am not actually sure.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
Well, in the campaign they reference the strings in the Language file, but since that can't be included in a mod, you need to type the text in each bubble.
You best way to do it is to make millions of bubbles and then script up it random in the editor... uh.