Author Topic: Co-op Hammerwatch, First Impressions Playthrough  (Read 4271 times)

jonathansfox

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Co-op Hammerwatch, First Impressions Playthrough
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
My partner and I are recording a video series of ourselves playing Hammerwatch with gamepads on one computer, with joint commentary. We currently have 3 hours of gameplay up and we're still making more.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNsAvL3IuI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNsAvL3IuI</a>

This is the first video series we're doing as part of a new channel we're starting up, focused on gameplay and commentary from the perspective of two gamers and game developers. We're aware that the initial audio quality leaves a lot to be desired, and we have a high quality professional microphone coming in the next couple days. We're also pretty new to giving live commentary, so we'll probably get better as we go along. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or feedback, here or in the comments for the videos!

jaladreips

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Hammerwatch, First Impressions Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
I will never understand why people like to watch other people playing instead of playing the game themselves.

jonathansfox

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
They usually do it because there's something they can get from watching others play it that they can't get from playing it themselves. There are a number of forms this can take, and these are just a few examples.

1. Personality. Many of the most popular and successful YouTube personalities that play games and record commentary over them build their brand on their unique personality. One very successful formula is for the player or players to be comedians who use the game more as a stage to set up their unique brand of humor.

2. Mastery. If the person playing it is doing a 100% run or speedrun, is playing competitively, or is just generally known as being very good at that genre of game, watching them play can be interesting because they're playing the game at a very high level of skill, higher than you can personally achieve. A variation on this is educational videos, like how to survive your first night in Minecraft.

3. Discovery. If you don't own the game or don't have access to it, many videos are designed to introduce and review new games to help you to decide if it's worthwhile to purchase the game. Other times it can be fun to watch a person you've been following play new games that you haven't even heard of.

4. New Player Experience. It can be interesting for a skilled player to watch an unskilled player attempting to get the hang of a game. It's hard see a beloved game through "fresh eyes" after you've played it a great deal, and watching someone new play it can bring a fresh perspective other than your own. This can also be a desire to see someone you follow like a game you already like, similar to wanting to introduce a friend to a game or hobby you're enthusiastic about.

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
I watched the entire series, I think it's nice to watch other people play, it's so different from playing the game on my own or the other devs. Easier to see faults and mistakes you made.