Author Topic: Multiplayer character not saving  (Read 23164 times)

Nodfyr

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Multiplayer character not saving
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:27:29 AM »
Hi,

My brother and I where playing Hammerwatch together through on-line coop which he hosted. We loved it until the following bug broke our game: When we try to reload a saved game, I have to join using his IP address and it would randomly not restore my character, but rather ask me to create a new one. I still keep all the coins, but I have to look for all the proper stores in order to buy all the upgrades for my character again. This annoyance effectively killed the game for us.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer character not saving
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
This will happen if he saved the game after you left, so if the save was made when you were in the game, then your character will still be there.

Ubi

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:42:14 AM »
Actually there's more to this bug than saving without players present. People are having the same issue at the first boss and there are no save points there.

In my case we died at the boss twice and then on the third time reloading the save point my companion's progress was lost. He has all his coins but that's pretty useless when you can't go back to the shops.

Here's a thread on the Steam forum with other examples of this:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239070/discussions/0/648814841575382250/

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »
Oh, that's true about there not being save points at the boss, I hadn't considered that. I will look deeper in to this, hopefully I'll be able to reproduce it.

Lead_poisoning

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:19 AM »
I can confirm this same bug. Even if my friend was in the game at the time of the last save, his character is sometimes lost. It's happened twice now. :-\

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Does you friend change his name? The character is tied to the name of the person playing.

Ubi

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Oh, that's true about there not being save points at the boss, I hadn't considered that. I will look deeper in to this, hopefully I'll be able to reproduce it.

Great! Thanks Myran. I'm looking forward to having the confidence to carry on playing.

Lead_poisoning

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
Does you friend change his name? The character is tied to the name of the person playing.

He did not change his name. Both times this has happened we ran out of lives facing a boss. I, the host, selected "quit" in the game over menu, then loaded our save again. My character was fine; he started in the lobby as a new player.

supernovajm

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:08 AM »
I'm also having this problem. My character progress and levels saved, but my friend's chracter, who was in my game, did not. I selected quit from the menu, and was not in a boss level.

EDIT: My problem has been resolved. The problem was that I reloaded the game and quit between the last time that he had played the game.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:52:21 PM by supernovajm »

tekworm

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:36 AM »
Me and my girlfriend are experiencing this issue also.  I always host and she joins but each time she has joined she had her coins but none of her skills saved.  This last time was a huge pain in the butt because it took very long to get to any vendors.  I'm not sure how to resolve this because she can't join my game until I have already loaded the game from the file.  What is the proper way to start our game so she can keep her upgrades?? 

We probably won't play anymore until we figure this issue out.

theYellowLich

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
I've been having this problem as well. I've been playing with 3 friends and what's been happening is that we would play for hours straight but then eventually die and get game over. We would then quit and when I load up a save it would put me into the game with all of the accumulated deaths,kills , score etc. that the 4 of us had at that point in our game, and when the others joined it acted as if they were never there before. It's really frustrating that this happens and we have to beat the game in one sitting, which we were getting close to.

Also, about the saves, we always hit the checkpoints as we go along, but it doesn't seem to update/save the current save in the load menu. When I go to load up a save it seems to only have a save a few floors behind where we died which is frustrating because we then need to figure out where we are, if we need to pick anything up again that did not save, fight our way through rooms we already cleared with 3 players who are weak until we find the stores again.

Otherwise, great game, it's extremely fun, hope that these little issues can be fixed.

Pzychobitch

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi there,

me and my brother are experiencing the same problem.
We only quit the game after reaching a savepoint. And if we start to play again the same day the savefile is working as it's supposed to do!

But if we load the same file another day (even without playing in the meantime) the hosts character still remains as he was left, but die client one is broken. No character progress at all. He only gets the complete amount of collected gold. I dunno how the savefiles work but could it be that it saves the ip of the clients?

Anyhow it's really annoying and we won't play it again (already played it 8hours without any progress ...) and won't recommend it to our friends till this bug is fixed properly!

edit: okay it's definitely not the ip. It happens after a computer restart.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:33:26 PM by Pzychobitch »

Tiduas

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
Me and my girlfriend also experienced the same problem. Started playing earlier today and stopped, tried to resume a few hours later only to find that when I tried to join her server my adorable little ranger was completely wiped when choosing it. Her character (as the host) was still there of course.

It's a shame since we really wanted to play right now. Since there are many reports of this problem I guess it's something you guys are already looking into,  in this state no one's able to play because of the fear of our characters just going to waste.

Pzychobitch

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
No admin reply so far? How unfortunate.
Are you guys aware of this problem now and try to fix it? A short statement would be great!

Thanks.

Hammerwrath

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »
No admin reply so far? How unfortunate.
Are you guys aware of this problem now and try to fix it? A short statement would be great!

Thanks.
=>