Author Topic: campaign 2 / boss 1: Dune Sharks strategy?  (Read 11191 times)

Lomaxx

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
campaign 2 / boss 1: Dune Sharks strategy?
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
I just fought the first boss of the second campaign while playing a thief on normal difficulty. My best attempt so far was to beat him after losing four lives. I replayed the arena ~3 times and tried to figure out something like a tactic.
 Mine so far is to run left or right at the starting position, staying out of the sandtrap-circles and when ever a dune shark shows up, grapple to it (left or right) and hit it. But while being able to avoid damage to some extend, i still get hit and die a couple of times.

So far i can not recognize a real pattern in their attacks and thus find a pleasing tactic. Is there one? I can cope with the loss of 4 lives since you get more back right after the fight, but the way i currently fight it feals a bit 'meh'.

ZarroTsu

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: campaign 2 / boss 1: Dune Sharks strategy?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
You can sort-of just barely make out their outlines by slightly faded patches moving around on the ground. When the come to a halt, they open up about a half second later.

That said, I don't know if there's any real way to handle them as melee classes. The best you can do is try to strafe while walking backwards and then quickly attack when one opens up, but they don't stick around long enough to fight back, really. Plus if they come to a halt slightly behind you, you'll wind up taking a hit anyway.

All I can really say is this boss isn't very fair, the leading cause of which being that the mouths don't stay on the surface long enough to actually fight back against.

Juschlan

• I like trains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
The Dune Sharks are pretty easy. My strat is to buy as much movement speed as possible (3 is max). With this amount of speed you can easily dodge their attacks, as long as you don't get trapped in the sand-cycles.

I always go to the bottom left, because there is much place. I ran through that boss several times, but in the recording I did I made it at the first try without any deaths (Priest on hard).

Try soloing them, usually they are 2, which is also possible. The fewer Dune Sharks there are, the easier you can attack them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:16:52 AM by Juschlan »

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »
Move speed and then try to stay in those areas where the quicksand won't show, then if you have the skills, this should be easy enough with all classes. Priest is the best one here, make sure you level up mana as much as possible so you can beam for as long as possible.

Quicksand guide:

ZarroTsu

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
I don't know if "player clairvoyance" is that great of an answer, realistically. Especially concerning ore, and the variety given in spending it.