Author Topic: Crash on startup  (Read 6390 times)

Runai

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Crash on startup
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
Hi

I purchased Hammerwatch some time ago (gog.com version), and I am having trouble running it on this PC. Anytime I start it, it runs in a window for about 10-15 seconds, the sound comes on but there is no picture, and then Windows tells me that the program has stopped working. I've had it working fine on other PCs before. I'd appreciate any and all help in getting the game to run on this one as well.

This PC is an Asus Eee 1001PX netbook (10 inch) with:
Intel Atom CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz (dual core)
2 GB RAM
Windows 7 (Starter)

This is a copy of my game.txt file:

Game 1.22
WorkingDirectory set to: D:\Program Files\GOG.com\Hammerwatch
Failed loading config.xml
Initializing game
ARPGGame()
Window icon set
OGL: 1.4.0 - Build 8.14.10.2117
Starting game
Initialize achievments, Steam and master server
Steam error [1]: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'SteamworksNative': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at NativeMethods.Services_RegisterManagedCallbacks(ManagedCallback callback, ManagedResultCallback resultCallback)
   at ManagedSteam.Steam..ctor(CultureInfo activeCulture)
   at ManagedSteam.Steam.Initialize(CultureInfo activeCulture)
   at TiltedEngine.SteamInterface.Initialize(Action`1 joinRequest) in c:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\SteamManager.cs:line 149
Failed to initialize Steam, using Null implementation
Loading config settings
Loading controllers
Initialize sound
Sound device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Initialize renderers
GLState: NoError
Initialize physics
Start game
Loading resources
Resource error: doodads/generic/trap_stalactite.xml: All doodad transitions must have existing from and to states
Resource error: doodads/generic/trap_stalactite_e.xml: All doodad transitions must have existing from and to states
Resource error: sound/music_desert.xml: Could not find file: D:/Program Files/GOG.com/Hammerwatch/assets/sound/music/desert_cavern.ogg
Resource error: sound/music_desert.xml: Failed to load ogg sound/music/desert_cavern.ogg
GLState: InvalidValue
Loading Language
Initializing game
Resource error: : Could not find file: D:/Program Files/GOG.com/Hammerwatch/assets/levels/menu_2.xml.bin
Set initial OpenGL states
GLState: NoError
Shader output: shaders/drawlight.glsl - vertex:
No errors.

Shader output: shaders/drawlight.glsl - fragment:
No errors.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on startup
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »
Your graphics card driver seems to crash when compiling one of the shaders. Can you try updating the driver?

Runai

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Thanks for the quick response  :)

I just updated my graphics card driver to the latest version. Sadly the game still crashes.
Is there anything else I can do?

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:34:54 AM »
Hi,

it looks like your graphics card may not have proper shaders support. I looked up the specs on your netbook, and it looks like the graphics processor is an Intel GMA 3150, which does indeed support shader model 3.0. Are you using Intel drivers for graphics, or the ASUS drivers? The OEM drivers may be outdated. Try Intel drivers: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

Runai

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
This PC does indeed have an Intel GMA 3150. And the drivers I downloaded and installed yesterday were from Intel. The very same that are found through the link you provided. But for some reason the game still crashes on startup.

DivinityArcane

• wat
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
I'm guessing if you check the editor log in the same folder, you'll see something like "OGL: 1.1.0", which means that windows is using openGL version 1, which lacks certain shader functions. The editor may need to be recompiled with a newer version of OpenTK/SDL.

Sorry I can't be more specific, writing this from my phone.

EDIT: Alright, home now, so I can elaborate a bit. I have the same problem with the editor, and you should see two distinct lines in your error log assuming it's the same problem:

OGL: 1.1.0

and

Resource error: : Unable to find an entry point named 'glCreateShader' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.

The first line is stating that Windows is only providing the editor with extensions for OpenGL version 1.1.0, which is usually caused by outdated graphics drivers or incompatible graphics chips. The second line is confirming that fact by stating that the opengl32.dll (OpenGL for Windows) does not contain a method named glCreateShader. This is because glCreateShader is an OpenGL 2.X and newer method, and is not included in 1.1.0, which is the basic version provided by Windows. The usual response to this is to update your graphics drivers, however that isn't always going to fix it. The problem actually lies in the editor itself, or rather, in OpenTK, which the editor uses. In certain situations where OpenGL functions are called before the context is fully initialized, OpenTK will fail to completely load the extensions. The fix for this is a common one: Add a call to Gl.ReloadFunctions(); in the editor, which should fix it.

I've seen this same problem with two other apps, and one map editor a friend of mine worked on. This fixed the issue in all cases. This is something the devs will have to do.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:14:18 AM by DivinityArcane »