Author Topic: I need suggestions for a Random teleport idea  (Read 3039 times)

Cyndric1

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
I need suggestions for a Random teleport idea
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
Hello all. The is my first post, but I've been working on a couple of different maps for some time now. I've really learned a lot from reading this forum, so thank you to everyone who has posted and helped others with different problems, because a lot of them have helped me also =).

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas on how to make a random teleport work. As I said, I'm working on a couple different maps, but the one I'm working on today is sort of a survival map. My map is round, and I have a bunch of area triggers covering about 1/2 of the floor in random places. My idea is that you will randomly get teleported to another part of the map as you are running around the room (currently this is set to the center of the map, for testing purposes). I want to do this to sort of cut down on kiting, but also to make the map more fun. I know I can edit characters to make them faster and harder to kite, but again, I just think this way would be more fun.

So, currently I have a bunch on shapes covering the floor and they are all connected to 1 area trigger, which is connected to 1 Random script, which is connected to 1 levelexit. I have 1 levelstart in the center of the map that has it's level id in line with the levelexit id.

Ok, so it does work, you do randomly get teleported to the center of the map, but the problem is that it happens far to often. Since my random script is only connected to 1 item, the levelexit, you have a 50% chance to be teleported to the center anytime you step on any one of the 30 area triggers. So since there are so many area triggers, you pretty much get teleported anytime you move 20 paces.

I need a way to either drop the % chance of being teleported, say to 10% chance instead of 50% that the Random script gives you, or I need a different way to connect my scripts so that you don't get teleported so often. I know I could just drop the number of area triggers, but then it would be easier to avoid if you play the map several times and figure out where the triggers are, so I don't want to do that.

I'm drawing a blank on another way to set it up though, so I'm hoping someone has some advice for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Kashlavor

• Spike Dodger.
    • View Profile
Re: I need suggestions for a Random teleport idea
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
Personally I'd set up a few Timer scripts and ToggleElement scripts to turn your area triggers on and off.  So most of the time they wouldn't be on, and then you could have it pop up a message to say like "Get ready for the craziness!!!" and it turns them all on for a few seconds, and then 50% is totally fine.

I actually don't know how well the random script works, but could you just set it up in like a tiered system?  Like you have one random script, which randomly sometimes triggers a random script, which randomly sometimes triggers a random....which triggers what you want.  As long as it was a fraction of 2 that would work. 

You could also just add scripts that didn't really do anything to pad out the numbers so it didn't happen all the time.
Starting work on the Lair of the Archnecromantrix, a Hammerwatch campaign!

Cyndric1

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Re: I need suggestions for a Random teleport idea
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
Oooh, those are all great ideas! I will give them all a shot and see which works the best.

Thank you very much!!!