Author Topic: Join in play for Multi.  (Read 11457 times)

Necronaught

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
Join in play for Multi.
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Will JIP be implemented in the future? Too many people quit and it would be nice to have those positions replaced mid game.

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Join in play for Multi.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
We're considering it, we actually already have the feature (people can join if someone has already left the game), so it would not be a huge feature to add..  just need to work out some details.

Luhar

• The end is always the beginning backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
We're considering it, we actually already have the feature (people can join if someone has already left the game), so it would not be a huge feature to add..  just need to work out some details.

Oh! So you're saying that if I make a game and someone leaves, another person can join in his place? Even in game?

Juschlan

• I like trains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
This sounds good. Something that also happens often to me is, that the host leaves the game and the other people can't keep playing. Will there be a way to "fix" that?

Myran

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
Oh! So you're saying that if I make a game and someone leaves, another person can join in his place? Even in game?
Yes.

This sounds good. Something that also happens often to me is, that the host leaves the game and the other people can't keep playing. Will there be a way to "fix" that?
Host migration is a bit more complex since the host has a bunch of information that the clients do not, so adding that feature would require a fair bit of extra network code.

Etheric

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »
Is there a way for people to join in local?  Sometimes a buddy and I are cruising along and a third guy shows up.  If another player joins, would he start off with as much cash as we have accumulated so far?  (so as to not be so far behind)

Seeker227

• Never. Miss.
    • View Profile
    • Art Of A Freak: Art Contests
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
Is there a way for people to join in local?  Sometimes a buddy and I are cruising along and a third guy shows up.  If another player joins, would he start off with as much cash as we have accumulated so far?  (so as to not be so far behind)

You can set it to private, and give whoever you want to join you your computer's IP, and they can connect through that.  I don't know if a new player would have the same amount of money, and I doubt it.  Money is added for all players immeatly when it is grabbed, so it's unlikely the new member will have the same amount of money as you.
Never. Miss.

Etheric

• Maggot Crusher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:10 AM »
I was talking about local, not LAN.  I've got a rig hooked up to the TV in the living room for these kind of games.

A balanced way to have players join/leave midgame would be my #1 request for a patch.  In classic gauntlet games, it's as easy as just someone popping in a quarter, but in a game like this that has added progression, there would need to be a way for them to be scaled up.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be cool if this game adopted the Gauntlet: Dark Legacy branch of the game style, where they incorporated an element from Diablo: your character could be preserved independently of the game state, and you could join a game in progress with your saved character.  That brings in all sorts of other balancing issues.

The balance I'd like to see is just for the game save to track every coin you collect from the start of the game.  If I've been paying attention correctly, whenever you pick up a coin, it is cloned and put into ever party member's purse, so in a 1-player game, if you pick up 100 coins, you have 100 coins in inventory, and in a 4-player game, if you pick up 100 coins, each player still has 100 coins in inventory.  If the total coin count was also saved, then new players who joined could just start with the same amount of gold as the existing player.  Sure they won't have the purchased upgrades, but they'd be able to pick them up as soon as they came across a store.

Edit: Oh, and a way to change the player names in local would also be darling.  It'd make it easier to determine which save state goes with which group of friends.