Author Topic: Adding Doodads, actors, etc...  (Read 4615 times)

Gammer001

• Hyrule Savior.
    • View Profile
Adding Doodads, actors, etc...
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:12:18 AM »
I don't know HOW to add any thing to the editor. Like a new doodad or a new enemy. I'm very new to modding and trying to learn, it's really overwhelming.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hipshot

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Doodads, actors, etc...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »
Even though the process is fairly easy, it can be a bit tedious, is there something specific you wanna start with?

Gammer001

• Hyrule Savior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
I don't know how to add new files to the editor. I can't find where the editor is pulling all these things from.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mumpitz

• Evil Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
I think that Gammer001 misses the assets from assets.bin in the Hammerwatch folder.
To have them for editing i copied the assets.bin to my project/campaign folder inside the editor folder.
For example: ".../Hammerwatch/editor/myproject_campaign/assets/assets.bin"
Then i opened a new window with the editor folder where the ResourceExtractor.exe is, and drag dropped the copy of the assets.bin onto this .exe. After that you can/should delete the assets.bin copy.

Now you have all the assets as files and can work on em. Copy, edit, etc.

If im absolute right with that procedure i dont know. It seems not to overwrite the assets from the assets.bin cause i got some resource errors on refreshing the assets (ctrl+r) or loading a level of that specific project. "assets/tilemaps/file: Multiple tileset using the same level value (assets/tilemaps/file and tilemaps/file)"

Additionaly i get an "could not find file: path/to/file.png" when i try to make an own tilemap. it seems tha the editor is looking in the Hammerwatch root folder for the image instead of my project folder.

Could someone explain how to solve that? A tutorial how to create new own assets and make them available for all projects or just for a specific one would be very nice.

And to the devs: maybe you could think about a tool in the editor to add assets ;)
Maybe after the project/campaign thingy is implemented ;D
greetings

Mumpitz

Heretic

• Castle Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »
To have assets available in the campaign you would have to have their folders located in your campaign folder. For instance, HammerWatch/Editor/Ravenwatch. If you had the campaign folder on your Documents folder it would be Documents/Ravenwatch. They don't technically have to be organized by their type, but it definitely helps and is best practice to place them in their folder for their type, Actors to Actors, Doodads to Doodads, etc.
Also when creating your own campaign you have to have an info.xml and level.xml in the root campaign folder and in order to 'load' your assets into the editor you would need to create a map, save it in the campaign folder, then load it from the campaign folder. This will load all assets from that campaign folder to use in the editor along with the default assets for Hammerwatch.

You can use the info.xml and level.xml in the Editor/Example folder in your HW directory as examples of what your versions should look like.